Urban areas today face an acute challenge of growth and managing its development. The problems of urbanization showcase itself in the form of overcrowding, congestion, lack of infrastructure, insufficient provisioning of service- mostly in terms of sanitation, drinking water, transport, waste management along with environmental degradation and pollution. All these added to the poor administration of fast growth, adversely affects the socioeconomic growth of a particular place. At the center of urban planning lies the question of managing growth and make it more sustainable and energy efficient. Though urban planning and its competency are often a debatable issue, the need for proper planning is always felt in all parts of the world.
Main aspects of urban planning
• Addressing the core objectives of town planning in Port Phillip by taking into account the basic principles on which the context of economic, urban space and social issues is built.
• Different tools of urban planning and their competency to articulate the connection between infrastructure provision and urban development.
• Importance of urban planning to enable the integration of urban infrastructure through different initiatives.
Significance of proper urban planning to induce constructive changes
• A framework for change: Every developing city has a vision that has to be followed in order to develop in a well organized manner. The framework is not solely concerned about centralizing command and control, but is also based on the varying needs, coordinating ideas and efforts and draw away to the main goal that was previously etched. Major efforts that are directed towards improving prosperity, livability and equity must be properly implemented. Such transformational impact is only achieved through constructive planning and issuing the planning permit.
• An organized city is a future-ready city: Anticipating the future needs allow the place to be better equipped for future requirements. Urban planning helps in staying ahead of the challenges. The city leaders and planners are able to see various opportunities and manage the risk impacts with proper information regarding present situation so that they are able to make an accurate link between long-term vision as well as short term actions.
• Planning enhances the impact: Given the magnitude of the challenges any city is likely to face, there is scarcely any chance to face the improvements take place all at once. Successful cities gain momentum by addressing priority projects which are aligned with the future vision.